What to expect on your first visit.
Your Chiropractor may be treating your back pain, neck pain, headache, or other aches and pains, but he or she needs a complete picture of your health history and overall current health in order to provide the best possible treatment for you.
Set aside at least 30 - 45 minutes for your first visit to the Chiropractor. Future visits typically last 15 minutes, though the time required will depend upon the type of treatment you require. Here’s what you might expect.
On your first visit, your Chiropractor may ask about the following:
- personal and family medical history
- major illnesses you have experienced
- surgeries or operations you have had
- medications you are taking
- a description of your present condition
- the steps you have taken to manage your condition
- your diet and exercise
- your sleeping habits, daily activities, work routine, stress level, and home life
It is a good idea to wear comfortable clothes and shoes for your visit to the Chiropractor.
Your Chiropractor may ask you to change into a gown to perform some of these tests:
- a test of your reflexes, strength and sensations
- an analysis of your posture
- an analysis of your movement — he/she will observe how you walk, turn, bend or lift things, as well as how your body moves in the affected area
- a hands-on evaluation of how well your spine moves, identifying restrictions and areas of improper motion
Bring a copy of any X-rays or radiology reports you have.
These assessments give your Chiropractor a better picture of your complete health. He or she will make a diagnosis, prescribe a course of treatment, and once the matter of informed consent has been discussed, treatment usually begins. Most cases do not require an X-ray to be performed however this will be determined after a careful history and examination is performed.
If your Chiropractor diagnoses a condition more appropriately treated by another health care professional, he or she will make a referral for you. No referral is required for you to see a Chiropractor at our practice.